Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Mr Robot 1 from Vulhub

Mr Robot 1 is a virtual machine which can be downloaded from Vulhub. This virtual machine has linux installed on it and intentionally with unknown username and password. It is intentional because cybersecurity practitioners use this to practice their skills by guessing the username and passwords using the industry's best practices. 

To start with the process, I used Kali Linux on Virtualbox because Kali Linux already has all the tools that a cyber security practitioner needs. The next step is to make my Kali Linux  and Mr Robot 1 connect on the same network. In VirtualBox, there is a Network Settings for each installed Virtual Machine(VM). I made the setting on both VM(Kali and Mr Robot) the same(see figure 1).

 

Figure 1. Network Setting of Virtual Machines

The next step is to create a new DHCP server by using vboxmanage.exe file which is found in the root directory of VirtualBox.

 

From Window 10 command prompt, navigate to the location of vboxmanage.exe file and type in the following command line(pls note that the other purpose of the following command is to isolate the virtual machines from the internet):

I did not encountered any error, so I tried to run my Kali Linux and Mr Robot VM's. I checked the current ip address of my Kali Linux VM if it falls between 192.168.3.2 and 254 by invoking the command "ifconfig" and I got the following result:

The ip address of Mr Robot VM is still unkown(this is part of the game to guess its ip address)


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment